Saturday 2 March 2013

Smaller travelling

It's a while since I blogged about travelling and I've been thinking about why that is.

I'm in New Zealand at the moment, visiting my friend Pene in Auckland, and of course that's a smaller trip than hiking across the north the Pyrenees and the North West of Spain. But there are all kinds of travelling and they are all important. I wonder why I've been tricked into thinking that only the big, expensive and long trips count?

Over the last few days, as I've spent time with Pene and Ataphai, I keep being reminded that I am in a different culture and a completely different land, and it's an adventure.  At Te Henga, where the black and yellow sand is in separate stripes in some places (with completely different properties), and blended in others, I wondered if this was a metaphor for multiculturalism, or just for all human relationships. If so, what does that mean for how we should them better?

No comments:

Post a Comment